By: Stephen Radler
- Hangar Ruins Set [Digital STL File]
- Super Glue
- Light Spackle
- Sand Paper
- Various Paints / Spray Cans
The first step I always take is to prep the model by thoroughly washing it with warm soapy water. This is just to remove any residue. The model had print lines that I thought may interfere with the final shade wash I was going to use on the model. I wanted to remove/hide as many as I could. Once the model dried, I moved onto the next phase.
Texturing the model:
To help hide the some of the print lines and give some extra texture to the model, I painted all the pieces with Gesso. Once this was dried, I used a spray can spot filling primer to help created a semi-smooth surface. Upon inspecting the pieces, I decided to use some household spackle to fill in some gaps and hide some of the more prevalent print lines. I used my fingers to apply the spackle and then used a wet brush to smooth it out. I like this way of applying it, as I can control the thickness of the spackle, allowing me to repeat the process a few times so I can get the results I want. My wetting the spackle it smooths it out and saves me time when it comes to sanding.
Once the spackle dried, I added some more Gesso to certain areas, mostly to clean up some of the areas with the spackle. Once I was happy with the results, I moved onto the interior.
Adding Interior Detail
The interior walls of the Hangar are plain. Since I was planning on making the roof removable, I wanted to add some details to the interior. I used sheet styrene to create wall panels. I simply scribed in some panel lines. I used a few greeblies from my kitbash stores and wires to add some more detail. My long term goal is to light the interior, but first I need to learn how. Like I said, long term goal.
Painting the Ruins
Since I have already used spot filler primer on the model, I applied a final coat of primer and got ready to paint the base coat.
Once the primer had cured, I sprayed my first coat of Humbrol Desert Yellow over the ruins. The next step is to pre-shade all the stones and corners. I used my airbrush with a dark brown for this. I simply traced all the details on the building. This is a bit time consuming, but the end results are worth it. Once the paint had dried I reapplied the base color of Humbrol Desert Yellow. I held the can about 10 inches away, and misted the entire model.
The next phase was to bring out all the tones I wanted the stone to have. I went ahead and applied Vallejo Sepia Wash. I simply just mixed it up and applied it with a large brush. It stains the Humbrol Desert Yellow perfectly. I gave it a full 24 hours to dry.